I’m not here to debate a particular type of vitamin, or which supplements are best for you. But I do want to raise an issue of quality when it comes to both. And to encourage you to read your supplement labels and consider their source, BEFORE you just buy and consume the next pretty label brand or what’s at Costco. What’s the point of taking something that supposed to boost your health, only to learn that fillers, artificial ingredients and other toxins are completing negating your efforts?!?
You can easily find pure supplement and vitamin sources; you just need to know what to look for. I hope this information serves as a starting point of what to look for, and what to look out for so you can live your most vibrant life!
INGREDIENTS TO STEER CLEAR OF
In general, here is the summary to avoid:
- Synthetic coatings and binders (used to coat tablets or create capsule casings)
- GMOs (corn, wheat, gluten) and their biproducts (think corn starch, corn syrup, soy)
- Synthetic colors (think Red #, Blue #)
- Artificial flavors (beware a “natural flavor” is anything but!)
- Milk/dairy/eggs – they are not necessary and just create more inflammatory options
However, many of these ingredients are masked by words we either don’t understand or are intentionally confused by.
Here are a few most common ingredients to avoid (sadly, there are plenty more!)
- Magnesium Stearate – a common additive and filler but is also used in heavy machinery as a lubricant (yuck!) and is a known human toxin
- Silicon Dioxide – it’s actually beach sand, used as a food additive; chronic inhalation of silica dust can lead to lung disease
- Maltodextrin – made from GMO corn; can spike blood pressure and suppress probiotic growth
- Modified Food Starch – treated with potentially harmful chemicals
- Corn Starch – a GMO, linked to anemia and digestive issues
- Soybean Oil – known toxicity to the immune system, a GMO
- Soy Protein Isolate – debated negative impact on thyroid, hormonal health especially in women
- Artificial Flavors aka “Natural Flavors” – this is MSG! and it negatively affects our brain and cognitive function
- Food Dyes (Red, Blue, Yellow #) – many have known, negative neurological and developmental impacts to our health, especially in children
Also – don’t be fooled by Amazon’s “Best Seller” listings and the easy, click-to-buy bait.
Alternatives do exist, you just have to know where to find them!
I encourage you to do your due diligence when it comes to sourcing your vitamins and supplements. Your Naturopath is your best bet! He/She will be well versed in the items above and can guide you best. I use Vital Nutrients for almost all of my supplements so I don’t have to worry while I shop. There are many others like them out there though.
And don’t forget about your kids’ vitamins. We buy Smarty Pants Organics and similar organic brands (always organic and vegetarian)!
Looking for more specific advice? I can help.
I’ve become pretty versed in label reading and I’m always here if you want to run something buy me or need some advice. Just reach out!
Check out my other Health Hacks here!
*Information directly sourced from a myriad of books, online articles and far too many to mention. Photo directly sourced from here